Friday, September 3, 2010

Attitude that allows you to ace

At Trinity University many students find that tennis is a big part of their lives and tennis at Trinity is a truly special sport. My name is Colleen Collins and I am an officer in Trinity’s Club Tennis Organization. Club Tennis is for players who cannot, or do not want to play for Trinity’s Varsity Tennis team but still want to get out and play. We have many out of town tournaments that are a ton of fun, the most popular being the Brownsville tournament. Tennis has always been a big part of my life and continuing to follow this passion has led me to meet some really great friends and continue to work on my game. This year I tried out for the Varsity team and though I did not make it, it reminded me of a very important aspect of tennis. Attitude is everything. I don’t mean acting like you think you are “all that and a bag of chips” but having the right attitude while you are playing.

Confidence in your ability and remembering why you love tennis could be the deciding factor in your ability to win a match or if you lose. In the past when I lost sight of why I loved tennis or thought I wasn’t a good player, I would usually lose to girls who I would normally have won against. My attitude was the deciding factor in what the outcome of the game would be. If you are confident in your abilities then any shot in tennis is possible. A good example of this is Roger FedererCan you name one time when Federer hasn’t played well? Can you name one time when you have seen him not looking confident in his ability? Can you name one person consistently better than him in this point in time? If you answered yes to any of these, I hope you are kidding or can give a good example. The point is, Federer knows he is a great player. He exudes confidence in his game and knows the shots he can make. Though most of us are not Federer we can see from this pro that confidence and love of the game can empower you to win against most any opponent. Attitude is the most important thing a player can work on in their game. Once confident and in love with your sport, you will be able to harness the drive to excel in any shot you put your mind to. I know that once I reestablished my love of tennis I was able to hit more aggressively than ever before and hit an awesome kick serve. And that serve made me feel like I hit The Ace in Life

Creative Commons License
Tennis by MCC is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

No comments:

Post a Comment